Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Path to Nythera

Howdy howdy folks!  Thanks for reading again!  This was another great week for hobbying (even if I stretched out into another couple systems.).  I managed to paint a few minis, make a few boards (experimenting with different texturing techniques) and I even got a Nythera game in!  I have really gotten an extra level of enjoyment out of my hobby since I've started blogging about it, and I want to thank you guys for that.  I'm surprised by how regular I've managed to keep the posts, and here's hoping I can keep that regularity up!

Hobby
As far as hobby activities go I've assembled my coryphee from GenCon (I'm working on being able to swap their bases between 2 on a 50mm or individually on 40mms), I've started painting my mechanical rider (she is a MONSTER on the table, who knew?), and I've painted up 2 demo boards.  One is specifically for Guild Ball, a 2x2 pitch for demo games, and one is for Malifaux demo games (although, it wouldn't be a bad display board for a certain cult of martian mechanics).  I'm looking forward to picking up the Malifaux starter set from one of my FLGS's this week (Drawbridge Games!  check it out if you're in Pittsburgh!), so I'll probably spend some time this week building up different pieces of terrain that you need to run the demo scenarios.  I still haven't gotten around to setting up a nice photo booth, so i'll have to describe some of the painting on mech rider.  I used a progression of blue to purple to pink for her flames, base coated and washed all the metals, and use a brass color to accent around the steel colors.  The coryphee are on flagstones that are slightly larger than the cobblestones I typically base my Arcanists on, but this will help with the magnetizing.

The TARDIS conveniently showed up for the Coryphee to lean on.
Try to guess which one is the Guild Ball pitch!  I hope my wife doesn't turn the fireplace on...

Gaming
In the slightly modified words of Nux from Mad Max (just go see it already) What a week, what a lovely week!  I played a Nythera Global campaign game with my local rezzer player and he took the dreaded Nicodem!  We flipped for all the campaign bits, and he wound up being the attacker and set his sights on Slate Ridge.  Here is the Strats and Schemes pool we flipped.

Hmmm, Turf War you say?  Arcanists you say?  Who should I bring?
After little to no deliberation, I decided on Ironsides.  Half because I want to get more games in with her, half because she's painted, and wholly because it was turf war.  The hard part was figuring out who else to bring?  I brought al little bit of shooty support with the mages and the gunsmith (who had a real tough time slowly descending from their vantage point), 2 Miners came along as hybrid scheme runners/counter scheme runners,  Johanna and Mouse came along to heal, and Willie brought his wheelbarrow.  Johanna had the extra usefulness of being able to remove conditions in a pinch (but her ability is REALLY hard to get off without the ability to use soulstones!) in case he dropped McMourning, and Willie was there to manipulate scheme markers or blast if he went heavy summoning.

Let me know if I made any dumb choices!
The game started off with a bang!  We each deployed in our corners and declared Plant Evidence.  He had breakthrough unrevealed and I had Vendetta unrevealed  naming my gunsmith and his punk zombie.  I'm really liking the trick of using Mouse to damage a friendly model for Ironsides' ability (and the fast trigger on the gunsmith), reposition the model, and then have the opportunity for a heal.  I don't like bottlenecking my own models on a flight of stairs.  Everyone generally meandered towards the middle.
My Deployment
His deployment
The first summon was rough, a Hanged right at the turf marker.  That hanged stuck around for a crazy amount of the game.  Next the punk zombie got hopped up on some sort of meds from the nurse and came right for my Gunsmith.  I got initiative on the next turn and use a lot of resources to have the Gunsmith put the punk back into the ground, earning me full points for one of the schemes.

End of turn 1
End of turn 1
Center scrum!
The game was a rough fight and there was a lot of back and forth in the Turf Marker scrum.  At the end of the day my fringe guys managed to stop his scheme running canine remains before they could run away with the game, I earned full scheme points and 3 strat points.  He earned full points for plant evidence, but none for breakthrough and 2 for turf war.  Slate Ridge was successfully defended, but at great cost in Arcanist lives.
Where'd all those extra bodies come from?  How did Mortimer's spleen turn into a zombie lady of the night?  Where'd the clothes come from!?!?!
Some of the highlights from the game include two Hanged keeping everyone afraid of everything, Ironsides making 5 or 6 attacks in one activation to knock out a punk zombie and most of his buddy, and the sheer amount of damage Nico put out with his attack spell (decay? despoil?  delovely?)

This was another excellent week for the hobby, and I look forward to another one this week.  You guys have all kept me on track and I just want to thank you for that again.  If you want to get in contact with me you can leave a comment, email me at ToBeAnArcanist@gmail.com, or tweet me @KFinchster.  Thanks again and I'll see y'inz next week!

3 comments:

  1. Decay is his ability.

    Yea one activation murdering almost 14 SS in models when there was nothing I could do about it was kinda nuts.

    Don't performers from the Colette kit get a Lure? Lure in a bunch of weak models to stack a ton of adrenaline on Ironsides and then go to town... I'd cry. I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep the performers do have a lure, but space near Ironsides is at a premium. I'll check the range out. The more Ironsidesy way to get closer for more adrenaline is to use the Captain to push her and at least one defensive buddy into a scrum, then follow up with mages using the push trigger to get someone else in there.

      Delete
  2. Love your blog! Read it with a lot of interest. Keep it on :)
    Playing Arcanists and Rezzers myself, so this was very on topic :D

    ReplyDelete