Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Showdown in Pittsburgh City!

Hey everyone!  It has been an amazing week, and I really feel like I've been able to get a ton of time in with everyone's favorite hobby!  I got some Hobby time, a little bit of reading with the new book, and a Game!  I have been keeping an eye on the Wyrd trade forums for new minis (thanks to all the folks that I have been trading with!) and I also made a purchase from Mats By Mars.

Hobby
I've managed to sneak in a lot of painting, model construction, and I even built some of the unsung heroes of tabletop wargaming TERRAIN!

I have some extra insulation foam laying around my house, so I decided to start building a collection of terrain to give me the option of playing some games at home.  I whipped up a couple hills in an hour or so, nothing too fancy but certainly useful.  A little later in the week I tried my hand at building a burnt out house and am fairly happy with how it turned out.  I can't wait to try all of this stuff out on my own table!

It seems like I either get minis put together or painted in a given week, and this was a models put together week.  I managed to get a bunch of GenCon and local shop models assembled.  If you notice the metal Arcane Effigy I missed my chance to pick up the plastic while I was at GenCon.  I had one in my hand the first day, and decided to buy it later to push a purchase up to the limit for another bonus model.  When I showed up later to buy him, they were out.  A word of warning ALWAYS GO FOR THE BIRD IN THE HAND!  Fortunately a local shop had a metal one in stock, so I don't have to wait until December for the excellent condition removal this little puppet provides.


Gaming
This week was amazing because I actually got a game in!  I went to one of my FLGS's and watched a couple people play before a new player popped up, and then we started a game!  It was a 30 stone game, I declared Arcanists and he declared Guild.  The strategy was Turf War and the schemes were Bodyguard, Power Ritual, Assassinate, Murder Protoge, and of course Line in the Sand.  I took Power Ritual revealed and Bodyguard unrevealed.  He took Assassinate and Murder Protoge both unrevealed.  My list was Ironsides with Arcane Resevoir and Challenge the Crowd, Mouse, Joss with Recharge Soulstone, and 2 Union Miners.  He took the Sonia Crew box (which was beautifully painted!).  This first shot gives you a good image of the board.
This shot provides a shot of my crew.
And a shot of his crew early in the game.
We had a great game, and tied 4-4.  I scored 1 from Turf war (Goofed by trying to score with Mouse) and 3 from Power Ritual (gogo huffing and panting miner).  I failed to keep Joss alive, I figured he was going to take assassinate and waste all of his time on Ironsides.  Mouse definitely did a lot of work healing up Ironsides and pulling miners around the field (to turn on hand picked men) and I think I will be taking him in future games.  My opponent scored 2 from turf war and 2 from murder protoge.  The burning overtook Joss and those 2 points were an effective 5 because he denied me 3 all at once.

Misc
With the revamp to the Henchman program underway, I'm considering applying to be one in October.  That being said, I don't have a ton of experience under my belt with the game, but I have enthusiasm dripping out my ears.  I'd love to hear from any current Henchman about what they think about the program, and if they think I can get away with being one with less experience actually playing the game than your average Malifaux player.

Thats it for this week let me know what you think about things and if you have any questions feel free to contact me at ToBeAnArcanist@Gmail.com or on Twitter @KFinchster

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog! I am usually silently reading them, but as you specificly asked input... ;)

    Henchman here. While I am currently on par with my 'Faux knowledge, I had less when I started out as a Henchman. For me henching is about making the group enthousiastic and stir them to even more Malifaux. Keep the game interesting with alternative formats, and just be the person to rally around.
    So far I feel that enthousiasm (the stuff that drips out of your ears) is a greater asset to a (starting) Henchman then game knowledge. Once you get more games in you will get better at the latter!

    I say: go for it, join our ranks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for the input. It certainly is tempting, and I should have enough painted up by October :).

      Delete